subheader

surviving Weight Watchers with picky eaters...

Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Panic...

was staved off by sheer denial.  It was almost Scarlett O'Haraishy how I managed to put off even finding a single recipe until the day we actually began.

Day one was not pretty.  I was hungry and lack of carbs allowed the panic to break through the thick mac-n-cheese wall of denial.  I seriously doubted my ability to pull this off...how do you change the eating habits of 5 people?  While only 2/5 need to lose weight I really need to re-train all of us on what not to eat.

No easy task when most of them are picky eaters.  It is not easy to bulk up a recipe when they will not eat peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower or celery. 

A challenge was born...find foods that make this a lifestyle change and not a punishment.  I am trying to come up with recipes that appeal to the picky eaters and still allow us to follow WW.  I will share them here as developelope.

In the mean time...things I wish I knew 6 weeks ago:
  • Fat free cheese is a product of the devil-seriously-my dogs won't eat it and I have seen them delight over things too gross to mention here.
  • Oscar Meyer 98% fat free hot dogs are yummy.  They do kind of make a "screaming" noise when grilled but they really do taste great. 
  • Castleberry Hot Dog Sauce (chili) has 0 pts.  This means that with one of the hot dogs (1 pt) mentioned above and a hot dog bun (2pts) you can have a honking big chili dog for 3 pts!
  • 1 ounce of baked chips is a lot more than you think
  • 2 wedges of Laughing Cow = 1 pt!!!!!! 
  • Trop 50 1pt  per cup....ummy.
  • My SIL told me that I should use my handy-dandy calculator to estimate the pts for not just 1 serving but 2.  Do the math for Fat free sour cream - 1 serving 0pts, 2 servings=1pt, 3 servings-1pt...so you can have 6 flipping TBS of fat free sour cream for 1 pt....ohhhhhh mama.
  • Making your own pasta sauce is the key to keeping pts in check.
Plan to post a great recipe for a very hearty cheesy lasagna tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment